Monday, January 12, 2009

Creek Crossings and Cross Dressing

This is a story about a trip I took this past weekend when I got to try out creek crossings using another idea, Crocs. Not the big Crocs, but a slimmer, better fitting pair made for women called Mary Jane's. They are bright green. Garish green. They have a more secure strap system too. Perfect for water pursuits.

This is it below.

January 2009


The best and most rugged of the local Metroparks are bisected by large creeks that can't quite be stone hopped across except in dry summer weather. With the recent rains, and warm weather run off, they are swollen. A fine time to test some more ideas. Armed with the Mary Jane's and a small day pack and my hiking poles I set out to hike the length of my favorite park, cross the creek and hike back the other side.

The park is cleverly designed so that the trail ends about 1/2 mile from the start at a little falls and then leaves you...on your own. I like those kind of trails. The steep terrain requires hands and feet (and sometimes teeth) to ascend the steep ravine walls and some downhill ski techniques to descend them without losing those valuable uphill teeth. No skis, you understand, just the technique. The miles covered have little relation to the time involved, much of it spent scrambling for roots and branches. My goal was the far northern end of the park where a steep cliff cuts off further access and requires a descent into the flood plain. Here the river is braided and more fordable, less likely to sweep you away.

Off came my trail sneakers, socks and pants, on came the Mary Jane's and, down to a pair of shorts (full top clothes, though), I waded into the first channel. The turbid water was opaque and my hiking poles showed me the depth to be about mid-thigh. Oddly I began to feel my upper legs banging against what had to be some submerged branches, that broke away as I surged forward. It took a few seconds for me to realize that what I was encountering was not branches at all but the surface ice breaking as my legs moved forward. The surface was obscured by some rain that lay on the ice and fooled me into thinking it was open water. Up on a gravel bar and down into the main channel at a shallow point, and out the other side in about 30 seconds. The hiking poles were very useful in maintaining balance. No sense stumbling over a rolling rock and getting completely soaked.

My feet were numb and aching and cramping by the time I got out, but warmed in a minute and I could casually sit on a log and change back into my original clothes. A success!

The rest of the day was spent exploring the other side of the park I had never seen before, intending to re-cross the creek at the shallow part of the falls I had passed hours ago. But from the tops of the ravines, 300 feet up I missed the view of the falls and passed them by, realizing this only later. No big deal. A small, dilapidated, crumbling road crossed the south end of the park where I was headed. To the east on that road, where it was still a road, was my car. I would just hike to what was left of the road, follow it to the little metal bridge, cross, head uphill and be back.

In the gathering dusk I found what was left of the road and heading to the crossing. It was some time before I got there, the road being a real obstacle course, unsuited for any vehicle, and barely good enough as a hiking trail. It had been closed many years ago. Arriving at the bridge I discovered there wasn't any. It had long ago been removed.

Hmmm...I stuck my hiking pole into the water. The river at this point was not braided and the full current ran in a single channel. I was on the outside of a bend, the deepest part and my hand went right into the water without the hiking pole reaching bottom. I pondered the Mary Jane's. Pondered a walk across the river, pondered a swim. Hmmmm..

Then I did a silly thing and scrambled up the 200' cliff above, hoping to see from that vantage point, a shallower crossing. But up on top the view was obstructed and darkness was falling fast. I couldn't see the bottom. I walked along for about 15 minutes and then came to my senses. I stopped, put down my hiking poles, got out the map, compass and headlamp, and proceeded back. Five minutes later I realized I had left the hiking poles behind. I dashed back, but the rain had ruined the snow for tracks and after searching fruitlessly for another 5 minutes I realized I had lost the hiking poles. I'd have to come back some other day in daylight and find them.

Now I had to get back far enough to descend the cliff where the road ended but not too soon. Too soon and I'd descend right down to the creek. If it were really steep I'd be swimming the creek after plunging in. I took extra care to go extra far back, descended with the light of the headlamp but without my hiking poles. The scrap branches lying around were mostly rotten and of little use as hiking poles. They snapped when I poked them into the ground and were more hazard than they were worth.

Finally I reached the road, hiked a 1/2 mile to where houses began, flagged down a kind lady in her car and got driven back to mine. In my mind I was concerned that the park rangers might have closed the gates on my car after dark and worse, called out a rescue, but they're understaffed and the gates were open. Understaffing is a good thing sometimes.

I was home an hour later. A wonderful trip. I like those Mary Jane's.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment