Friday, September 11, 2009

Quetico: Baggins

We made some new friends on our travels through Quetico.
Meet Baggins.
Baggins was camping with his two-leggers, Bruce and Catherine, on a beautiful sand point on Sturgeon Lake. We stopped there for lunch one blustery afternoon. It was a combination of a relentless head wind, Baggins' excellent companionship and Bruce and Catherine's wonderful storytelling that inspired us to call it an early day, set up camp and wait out the wind until the next day. In the meantime, Bruce, Catherine, Marty and I exchanged canoe camping horror stories and prepared food to share all around. It was an evening of the best that Quetico had to offer; a lovely sunset, a fabulous meal and even better company.



The next morning, early, I heard Baggins' collar bell clanking outside our tent; he had come to wake me up. He had something to show me. He drooled luxuriously on our tent screening waiting for me to dress.

"Follow me."
I did.


"I have something neat to show you; you'll really like it. I do."
He showed me the mist on the now silk-smooth lake.
"Nice, huh?"

"Walk this way; there's more."


"Look at these logs!"
"This one's my favorite; It's really stinky!"
"I come here every morning."
"And then I go back to the tent to see if any kibble has appeared in my dish."

"And then I watch the sun come up."


"And dream about all things stinky."

No comments:

Post a Comment